678.245 Definitions for ORS 678.245 to 678.285.
(2) "Certified registered nurse anesthetist" means a registered nurse licensed by the Oregon State Board of Nursing as a certified registered nurse anesthetist.
(3) "Medical collaboration" means approval of the anesthesia plan by an anesthesiologist and an anesthesiologist being readily available during the administration of anesthetic agents until the patient's post-anesthesia condition is satisfactory and stable.
(4) "Physician" means a doctor of medicine or osteopathy licensed in Oregon under ORS chapter 677.
(5) "Procedure" means surgery, labor and delivery or other medical services in a hospital or ambulatory surgical center, as defined in ORS 442.015, rendered by a physician or other health care provider qualified by appropriate state license and hospital or center privileges or hospital or center written authorization to render such services.
[1997 c.575 §1]
678.255 Provision of nurse anesthetist services in ambulatory surgical centers.
(2) When no anesthesiologist is readily available for medical collaboration on anesthesia services for a procedure performed in an ambulatory surgical center, a certified registered nurse anesthetist may deliver the following services without medical collaboration:
(3) When no anesthesiologist isreadily available for medical collaboration on anesthesia services in an ambulatory surgical center, a certified registered nurse anesthetist shall review the patient's pertinent medical records, including the medical evaluation of the patient, prior to determining an appropriate anesthesia plan.
(4) This section does not prohibit any other licensed health care professional from rendering or supervising anesthesia services if such services are within the scope of the professional's license.
[1997 c.575 §2]
678.265 Ambulatory surgical center oversight of nurse anesthetists. Ambulatory surgical center bylaws, rules and regulations may establish requirements for ready availability of an anesthesiologist for medical collaboration consistent with ORS 678.255 and provide for credentialing, supervision, monitoring, education and professional liability insurance for a certified registered nurse anesthetist consistent with ORS 678.255 and the scope of practice established by the Oregon State Board of Nursing pursuant to ORS
678.275 Provision of nurse anesthetist services in hospitals.
(b) Determination and administration of an appropriate anesthesia plan, including but not limited to selection, ordering and administration of anesthetic agents, airway management and monitoring and recording of vital signs, life support functions, mechanical support use, fluid management and electrolyte and blood component balance;
(c) Action necessary to counteract problems that may develop during implementation of the anesthesia plan; and
(d) Necessary or routine post-anesthesia care.
(2) Consistent with the provisions of ORS 678.245 to 678.285 and the scope of practice established by the Oregon State Board of Nursing pursuant to ORS 678.285, hospital rules and regulations and medical staff bylaws may define whether the delivery of anesthesia services in connection with a procedure in a hospital by a certified registered nurse anesthetist shall be:
(b) Subject to a requirement of supervision or medical collaboration by an anesthesiologist; or
(c) Subject to any other requirement that may be applied with due regard for patient health and safety.
[1997 c.575 §4]
678.285 Board regulation of nurse anesthetists; rules. Consistent with the provisions ORS 678.245 to 678.285, the Oregon State Board of Nursing shall adopt rules necessary to establish:
[1997 c.575 §5]